Thursday, May 1, 2008

OLYMPIC TRAINING

5/8/06 OLYMPIC TRAINING

As I've mentioned before, when I took this job at Premiere, I wanted to approach as a way to get my unofficial Ph D. in Knowing Stuff.

I realized I had this opportunity to learn from some of the greatest thought leaders, writers, authors, motivators, and athletes in the world, and I wanted to take full advantage of it.

One such opportunity has been getting to know 2 time Olympian and world record holding downhill skier Cary Mullen. Being a young guy (37?) who is great at accomplishing goals despite being an underdog, the majority of his speeches are to companies who want to get their bright, young sales people and leaders to the next level. I figured maybe I fit into that category, so why not take advantage of some time with Cary? It turned out to be a great experience for me. I was able to go through with Cary step-by-step process of setting goals, the mental focus needed, why it worked for his team, and how I could apply it. So now if I get a bit off kilter in my goals, I can remember my "Big Worthy Target", and get focused again.

Don't forget that you as an event planner can take advantage of this kind of thing as well. I know there's a good chance that you're going to have to run around getting last minute hotel rooms while your speaker is going on, but try to catch as much as you can. We can all get better!

To learn more about Cary and watch his video, click here: http://www.premierespeakers.com/cary_mullen

No comments: